Sunday, June 26, 2011

Painting the Bathroom Cabinets

A few posts ago, I showed pictures of the new Baltic Brown granite bathroom countertops. And in this post, I (think) I mentioned that the cabinets would not remain white for much longer.



Yeah, I know. Why would we change those cute dingy not-so-white cabinets? They have such nice mismatched hardware, too... :-X

So the first step was buying paint. I went to Lowe's (which I never do, this was my first time buying paint from them) and picked out a few colors.

Deep Earth vs. Dark Granite
Mike and I had originally picked "Deep Earth" by Valspar, but when I went to go buy the quart of it, my wallet had a change of heart. So, I tried to find a close match in the Olympic brand, which is 5 dollars cheaper per quart than Valspar. The color I picked was "Dark Granite", which seemed appropriate.

Something amazing happened while I was waiting for my paint to be mixed. The girl at the counter made a huge mistake.


She accidentally mixed a gallon of it. SCORE! Instead of Oops!-ing it out and remixing my quart, she just marked it down to the quart price. So now, I have more than enough for any thing I want to paint Dark Granite in the house.

Since the cabinets we're white, I didn't have to prime them. I did wipe them down and steel wool them were necessary. Then I got to painting. It took almost 3 coats to get them to look the way I wanted. I'm going to say that that was due too the semi-gloss sheen of the paint, and the glossiness of the previous paint.


This would be the end result.


Its kind of crazy how much better it looks. We still have to get new hardware, but this is pretty amazing so far.

1 comment:

  1. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. 85 inch vanity

    ReplyDelete